Please help me name this business!

Please use the Comments section below to do virtual brainstorming. Explanagraphics is the temporary name of my repurposed business. I don’t like it much, but it will become the permanent name, unless I can friend-source some creativity.

NOTE: don’t overlook the two pages of comments (if you’d like to see others’ thoughts)!

Please poke around this site to get an idea of the services on offer. The target market is both:

• Marketing/Comunications professionals
  • Software development firms, especially start-ups

Criteria for Selection

Of course, I’m “the decider”… but I highly value input from my peeps.

The biggest limiting factor is that I must get the .com domain name. I won’t settle for something where another owns the obvious domain name, forcing me to settle for .biz, misspelling, or hyphenation. If you have a terrific idea where the domain name is “parked” I’m willing to try to buy it (if it’s available for a budget price).

Word and Phrase Ideas

• Marketers tend to talk of “visuals,” while geeks speak of “graphics.”
  • I have often said my profession is “explaining.” It seems to cover informative graphics, interactive design, tech writing, classroom teaching and speaking engagements.
  • I tend to like “mash-up” names like Explanagraphics, because they can define the business pretty well. But I think Explanagraphics sounds clunky.

Other Feedback Welcomed

This site is pretty much ready to launch. I’d be happy to get your thoughts — and especially reports of glitches anywhere in the site. Most of the text has not yet been copyedited! If you know my email address, please contact me directly. If not, please use the Contact page.

55 Responses to Please help me name this business!

1. Ron Lunde February 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

knowgraphics.com and graphicknowledge.com are both available…

• Nancy February 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Knowledge is a good synonym for information — and especially the comprehension of information!

2. Ron Lunde February 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

Also, graphiclear.com and babelgraphics.com (although that may mean something more like translation than understanding)

3. laura majerus February 25, 2013 at 12:22 am #

Graphexplain?
    Graphicvision? (.com is taken though. darn)
    Graphandgetit?
    BasicVisual? (maybe not such a good idea as Microsoft may object)
    Visigrok (hee hee)

I agree that explanigraphics is clunky. Plus, it’s hard to spell. I had to look back to see whether there was an e or an i in the middle.

• Nancy February 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

And just to prove that it’s hard to spell, it’s neither an e nor an i! It’s an a (see new content on home page).

I actually really like visigrok (perhaps as another domain name that points to the same site…)

4. Nancy February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Comments from various Facebook friends about the “temporary” name:
    (1) I like ExplanaGraphic – Is it pronounced with a long a or a short a ?
    (2) What does Explana mean?
    (3) That’s a long name for people to remember or pronounce or type into a web address.

I’ve put an animation on the home page that may help answer (1) and (2)… although it’s likely people will arrive at the site from search or shares — and then they don’t land on the home page.

5. Andrew Black February 25, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

The “obvious” name to me is VisualExplanations. This is very similar to the name of Tufte’s book. The domain name seems to be “parked”. It’s a bit long to type, of course.

How about VizEx ? It’s short, and the domain name seems to be available.

6. Nancy February 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Via another channel, Dorian S. offered:

Naming is fun.. not..
    How about a play on visual, visualize, vivid…
     •  VisualFeast (taken)
     •  Vivigraphics (not taken.. but vividgraphics is)
     •  VisualClarity available
     •  Visualinfo (taken)
    Infofeast
       (available for $1395) (I seem to like the word feast)
    Or is there an animal or other object that connotes what you want to say.. a clear, structured, visual animal… CobraGraphics
    Eh.. fft.

7. Nancy February 26, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Via another channel, Ann Marcus offered (names or seed ideas):
    TheBigPicture
    Worth a Thousand Words
    GraphicSynopsis
    InfoGraphica

8. Jerry February 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

visualclarity

bellegraphics

Canonicalgraphics

Crowngraphics

• Nancy February 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

I’ve been liking the idea of Visual Clarity. But online I found “VISUALCLARITY.COM IS FOR SALE! – $3,388.” Kind of out of my price range. Of course, I could offer them less.

The domain-name sites that riff on the keywords looked at that and produced a bunch of suggestions relating to optometrists. Makes me realize that my naming process has been somewhat myopic (heh).

9. Nancy February 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Via another channel, Rich Clem offered:

GraphUI (pronounced “graff – foo’ – ee”)

I think this one is meant as a humorous suggestion.

10. Megan February 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I like hand2mouse. Any particular reason you’re ditching it? Also, since the word “infographic” is so overused these days, I can’t help myself…I’ll submit the franken-abominations “defographic” (de-fog…eh? eh?) and “referographic.”

I also vote for Visigrok. Memorable, short, and sounds like either a Germanic tribe or a subterranean fantasy novel character. Nerd appeal all over the place.

• Nancy February 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I kinda talk about the word-overuse problem in another post. But really, the word had a real meaning prior to the deluge, and as recently as 3 years ago I spoke with marketers who didn’t know what it meant.

hand2mouse is going away because I’ve worked on two GUIs now that are touch screens. No mouses.

11. Kristl February 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

VinfoDesign (visual information design)

GraphicSense

InfoSense

InfoGraphix

GraphicLandia

InfoLandia

12. Stanford Davis February 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Nancy. I am very impressed by your work and business concept.

Here are a couple of ideas:
     •  seeandknow
     •  concept2visual
     •  visuals2know
     •  visualknowledge
     •  seeitknowit
     •  concept2comprehension

I thought of seeknow, but it could be see know or seek now. seeKnow?

13. M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (@znmeb) February 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

My personal opinion is that it shouldn’t be anything obvious, because if it is, you’ll never get a trademark, or you’ll have some attorney hounding you, and domain names will cost too much. So you want something memorable and new. For example, one Y-Combinator company that did something with email came up with ‘Xobni’ – “Inbox” spelled backwards.

How about just ‘xplana’ – is that in existence in some form on the Internet?

• M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (@znmeb) February 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Never mind … xplana.com exists and is huge.

• qqwin228.com October 13, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

I am, also, glad you wrote about the tsunami. It is a horrible disaster and your wordslend it a very strong voice. Not an easy task, well done, Nicole.Pamela

• gratis prepaid kreditkarten October 22, 2016 at 8:24 am #

I am commenting to make you understand of the extraordinary discovery our girl undergone viewing your web page. She learned several things, most notably what it is like to have an amazing teaching character to make the others easily completely grasp specific tortuous matters. You undoubtedly did more than visitors’ desires. Thank you for producing these valuable, dependable, explanatory and also cool tips about the topic to Janet.

• Yeah, I don’t get it either. As described it doesn’t seem to make sense. Unless there’s a BIG REVEAL at the end of the game that the wind-up knight is actually the princess who got fed up with all of these primers? That doesn’t seem impossible, given the question mark on “Rescue the princess?” on the title screen.

• kredit express panin kaskus November 3, 2016 at 4:29 am #

Problem w tym, że lewacy nie walczyli z faszystami, czy raczej nazistami (bo to jest nurt Hitlera ewentualnie), lecz z różnej odmiany narodowcami itp. JKM raczej daleko do jakiegokolwiek socjalizmu, a to on prowadził/firmował marsz od którego blokady wszystko się zaczęło.

• Hi, Remi,Please see our post on 6/26. Even wildlife not directly in the fire’s path can be affected by the heat, lack of water, and smoke. The best way for people to help out is by donating funds toward food and medical, via our Paypal link is a good way, and by donating supplies as listed on our web site. Thank you!Donna

• guenstig de kleinkredit geld zurück December 12, 2016 at 4:10 am #

I can’t hear anything over the sound of how awesome this article is.

14. Gayle February 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Hmm, I responded earlier but don’t see my post. I’ll try to recap…

I like Visigrok. I had thought of Visigraphics before I saw that, but it’s taken. And Visigrok is super geeky cool and makes a lot of sense.

Another possibility: Clarigraphics

(can’t remember what else I had in previous post attempt…sorry!)

• Nancy February 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

I’ve always used “grok” and I’ve always found someone in every crowd who has never heard of it. So it’s risky. And (thinking out loud, here) will marketers be attracted to a nerdy-sounding name? My friends are, but then my friends are… ;-)

• Trafne uwagi, Picerze, o ludkach o mentalnoÅ›ci gównojadów (w wiÄ™kszoÅ›ci), w tym popier….lonym kraiku nad WisÅ‚Ä…. Niestety, dorwali siÄ™ do wÅ‚adzy i opanowali Å›rodki przekazu a, onanizujÄ…c siÄ™ każdÄ… gÅ‚upotÄ…, demonstrujÄ… Å›mieszność, obÅ‚udÄ™, paranojÄ™.

• http://web2see.space/ubs.com September 10, 2016 at 6:09 pm #

I’m not certain where you are getting your information, but good topic. I must spend a while studying much more or working out more. Thanks for fantastic information I was searching for this info for my mission.

• http://www./ September 10, 2016 at 7:57 pm #

Fantastisk billede. På min indre computerskærm ser jeg et bryllupsoptog på vej mod kirken. Alle i folkedragter og et par spillemænd spiler en munter march på deres violiner.

• http://netarchive.site/piter.fm October 10, 2016 at 10:49 pm #

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I’m hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.

• http://www./ November 14, 2016 at 8:43 pm #

Der eigentliche Gedanke ist doch der der Zugänglichkeit für andere Menschen, die keine Blogs lesen. Ist es also sinnvoll auf ein Printmedium zu setzen, was bald glücklicherweise durch zeitgemäße Medien ersetzt wird? Aus den vielen guten und interessanten Beiträgen wäre es, so denke ich, geschickter, eine nach Themen sortierte Internetseite zu machen. Die Zeitungsleser haben es so auch noch leichter den Anschluss unserer Zeit nicht zu verlieren.

• kfz-unfallversicherung für insassen February 2, 2017 at 8:32 am #

Merci Philippe pour la citation. Tu notes à deux reprises dans ton article que klout est amusant, et je suis d’accord avec toi. Ce que Klout a compris c’est la gamification, un peu comme dans Foursquare. Gagner des points en fonction de sa présence, par la valorisation par ses pairs. Ça ne m’étonnerait pas qu’on voit aussi un système de badge se développer. C’est à la croisée des chemins entre la recommandation professionnelle et le jeu.

15. Holly Chamberlain February 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

I like Graphic Knowledge even though a bit long. Easy to say and easy to write. For mashups, I also like GraphicSynopsis, InfoGraphica, and GraphicSense because they seem interesting and yet easy to write and say.

16. Daniel PC February 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Nancy,

I really like your site. It’s clean and fast and I like the color choices. I actually really like several of the names mentioned above by Stanford (concept2visual) and Kristl (GraphicSense and InfoSense). Those names seem accessible and make sense and are reasonably memorable – and professional sounding.

Another way of thinking about information is that it wants to be KNOWN or…UNDERSTOOD. Then you don’t have to wade through the painful process of explaining. The best visuals just say it.

• Nancy February 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Fast? Wow. All them thar graphics are 24-bit PNGs, not known for being small!

Hmm. Maybe I should change my footer from “information just wants to be explained” to “information just wants to be understood”…. (sounds like the plea of a lonely soul!)

17. James Perkins February 26, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Seeitknowit
    Useeituknowit
    Useeuknow
    Graphiche (capiche?)
    See2know
    Viewknow
    Businesses
    Graspicartist
    Graspicart
    Graspic

18. Nancy February 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Via another channel, Mike Freiling offered:

Viewnique – but it appears to be linked to another domain, so I assume it’s already owned.

Graspix – play on “grasp” (as in understand), “pix” (as in visuals), and “graphics”. Does not appear to be owned.

[ed. note: He had not seen James's suggestions, below. Apparently their brains are somewhat similar.]

19. Marlin February 27, 2013 at 12:31 am #