Please help me name this business!

Please use the Comments section below to do virtual brainstorming. Explanagraphics is the temporary name of my repurposed business. I don’t like it much, but it will become the permanent name, unless I can friend-source some creativity.

NOTE: don’t overlook the two pages of comments (if you’d like to see others’ thoughts)!

Please poke around this site to get an idea of the services on offer. The target market is both:

• Marketing/Comunications professionals
  • Software development firms, especially start-ups

Criteria for Selection

Of course, I’m “the decider”… but I highly value input from my peeps.

The biggest limiting factor is that I must get the .com domain name. I won’t settle for something where another owns the obvious domain name, forcing me to settle for .biz, misspelling, or hyphenation. If you have a terrific idea where the domain name is “parked” I’m willing to try to buy it (if it’s available for a budget price).

Word and Phrase Ideas

• Marketers tend to talk of “visuals,” while geeks speak of “graphics.”
  • I have often said my profession is “explaining.” It seems to cover informative graphics, interactive design, tech writing, classroom teaching and speaking engagements.
  • I tend to like “mash-up” names like Explanagraphics, because they can define the business pretty well. But I think Explanagraphics sounds clunky.

Other Feedback Welcomed

This site is pretty much ready to launch. I’d be happy to get your thoughts — and especially reports of glitches anywhere in the site. Most of the text has not yet been copyedited! If you know my email address, please contact me directly. If not, please use the Contact page.

42 Responses to Please help me name this business!

1. Katy February 27, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Explanograms
    Graspit Graphics
    Show me Graphics
    Aha Visuals

2. Tari February 27, 2013 at 9:11 am #

I like the name as it is. It’s straightforward and tells exactly what the business does, with or without the tagline. I don’t think it needs a space-age name because this is a more grassroots (breaking through the ‘speak’) offering. Nice site, too. I think you’re rockin’ it already.

3. Nancy February 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Via another channel, Denise Barteldt offered:

Expli-Graphics

• Nancy February 27, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Shorter IS better! Marlin offered expligraphix below.

I see that expligraphics.com is available (as is .net, .org, etc.) There is one version used: expligraphics.sx…. “.sx is an Internet country code (ccTLD) for Sint Maarten. Created after Sint Maarten’s new status as an autonomous country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 2010.” Huh.

4. Nancy February 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

Via another channel, Wm Leler offered:

How about graphicalization. Like the word “visualization”, but with “graphics” instead of “visuals”. The .com domain is available.

And if you don’t like that, just remember that “it could be Wirsig” :-)

5. Nancy February 27, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Via another channel, Sheila Hanson offered:

InstructorGraphics

6. Nancy February 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Stanford Davis added to his list:

concept2clarity

7. david stubbs February 27, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Drawn to Clarity
    Picturize
    Picture It
    Chart Your Course
    Picto-Nouvelle

8. Mary Petillo February 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

I like Standford suggestion above concept2clarity. It not only explains the process but it is also a stylistic nod to hand2mouse.

9. Nancy February 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Via another channel, Martin McClure offers:

ClearlyDrawn

He also votes for (1) visigrok and (2) explanagraphics.

10. Holly Chamberlain February 27, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Now also liking concept2clarity in addition to previous likes. I do find explanagraphics interesting — just a bit long, though, and a little difficult to say and read.

11. Lev February 28, 2013 at 9:02 am #

I like ‘Explanagraphics’, actually. I think ‘concept2clarity’ is also a real winner. You could rename to concept2clarity and use Explanagraphics as a branding for what the company does, and thus keep both!

12. Nancy February 28, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I’m thrilled with all the ideas coming in! I know lots of creative and generous people. Thank you. No single name stands above the rest. So keep them coming!

(If you want to review, don’t miss 2 pages of “older comments”… scroll to bottom for a link.)

I am finding myself to be very attached to “explaining” and related terms. Perhaps I’m influenced by two things:

(a) Edward Tufte’s book, “Visual Explanations”

(b) The very upscale agency in Portland named XPlane (I may end up positioned as the poor person’s alternative to them!)

13. Tess March 2, 2013 at 12:07 am #

I may be late in submitting these ideas…but here goes.

ImpactGrafix
    VisualDesigns
    InfoDesigns
    ClearGrafix

Or how about a more encompassing (general) name…

McClure Designs (has a nice ring to it)

Clarity by Design